Seattle District Header Image

SEATTLE DISTRICT

Home
Home > Media > News Releases

Bookmark and Share Email Print

Posted 8/14/2015

Release no. 15-031


SEATTLE – Construction to restore flood protection to the Carbon River levee system near the City of Orting is set to commence Saturday when the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers begin repairs to 1,520 feet of damaged levees at five individual sites for about $1.7 million.

All in-water work is scheduled to be complete by Aug. 31, the end of the “fish window” when construction crews can work in the water with the least amount of disruption to fish.  Above-ground work is expected to last through mid-September.

“We have a challenging schedule, but we want to restore these levees to their designed level of flood protection before the fall flood season,” said Daryl Downing, the Corps Carbon River levee project manager. 

Damage to the levees occurred during high-flow events in November 2014 and January 2015.  Repairs will address scour, erosion, loss of riprap armor, gravel filter and embankment material in some locations.  Levee toes will be reconstructed, slopes regarded and armored with a blanket or riprap to protect against river flows.

In addition, upper bank plantings and woody debris placement are included in the plan to improve fish habitat.

Throughout the planning process the Corps worked closely with the Pierce County, the Tribes and other interested stakeholders.

Under a cost-share agreement, the Corps pays for 80 percent of the project and local sponsors pay the remaining 20 percent.