Section 214 of the Water Resources Development Act (WRDA 214) of 2000 (Public Law No. 106-541), as amended, allows the Corps of Engineers to accept funds from non-Federal public entities to give priority to the evaluation of their Department of the Army permit applications. H.R. 4165 extended the WRDA 214 authority until December 31, 2016.
The Seattle District currently has WRDA 214 agreements for acceptance of funds from the City of Seattle, Port of Seattle, Port of Tacoma and Pierce County to expedite review of these entities' permit applications. In accordance with Corps of Engineers WRDA 214 guidance, the Seattle District uses funds primarily for staff to expedite permit application review for these non-Federal public entities.
To ensure funds received from a non-Federal public entity will not impact impartial decision making, the Seattle District:
- Follows all laws, regulations, policies, and procedures as would be required for any non-WRDA 214 permit application evaluation.
- Has all final permit decisions reviewed by at least one level above the normal decision-maker, unless the decision-maker is the Seattle District Engineer
- Posts all final permit decisions for WRDA 214 entities on the Seattle District web page
WRDA 214 Federal Guidance - Implementation Guidance dated October 1, 2008
WRDA 214 Agreements with non-Federal Public Entities
- Special Public Notice (SPN) of the intent to accept WRDA funds from the City of Seattle, Port of Seattle, and Port of Tacoma dated August 24, 2001
- Decision Document - acceptance of funds from City of Seattle, Port of Seattle, and Port of Tacoma dated November 27, 2001
- SPN to accept funds from the City of Seattle, Port of Seattle, and Port of Tacoma dated December 7, 2001
- SPN of the of intent to accept WRDA funds from Pierce County dated September 14, 2007
- Decision Document - acceptance of funds from Pierce County dated November 9, 2007
- SPN of the of decision to accept WRDA funds from Pierce County dated November 15, 2007
Final WRDA 214 Permit Decisions
For more information on the Seattle District's WRDA 214 program, please contact the WRDA Program Manager via email or at 206-764-3262.