US Army Corps of Engineers
Seattle District Website

Filing a Claim with The Army Corps of Engineers Under The Federal Tort Claims Act

If you believe that you have suffered either a personal injury or property damage as a result of a negligent act of the Seattle District of the Army Corps of Engineers, you may submit a claim to our office for damages under the Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA), 28 United States Code Sections 2671 through 2680. The federal government has created a form, the Standard Form (SF) 95, to facilitate the processing of claims.


Under the FTCA, claims may be payable when the injury or damage is caused by negligent or wrongful acts or omissions of military personnel or civilian employees of the Federal Government while acting within the scope of their employment. Liability does not arise merely because the damage or injury occurred on property owned or managed by the Department of Defense or the Federal Government; fault or negligence by the Government or its employees is a prerequisite to Government liability.


Required Information
The following information must be included with the claim in order for the claim to be processed:
 Proof of ownership of the property damaged.
 The date and location at which the alleged negligent act/damage occurred.
 A description of how the damage occurred and why the District is responsible.
 A detailed statement of the amount claimed with respect to each item of damaged property.


Submitting Your Claim
Claims can be submitted to the following address:
US Army Corps of Engineers
Office of Counsel
PO Box 3755
Seattle, WA  98124

To speak with someone regarding a claim, please call (206) 316-3134.

This information paper is intended only to provide general information on claims and procedures for filing claims under the Federal Tort Claims Act. It is not intended to provide legal advice to the recipient, to discourage or encourage the filing of a claim, or to make any suggestion as to whether a claim would be paid by the Government.