The U.S Army Corps of Engineers, Seattle District, has partnered with City of Mountlake Terrace to restore wetlands, riparian
corridors, and fish and wildlife habitat within Lake Ballinger under Section
206 of the Continuing Authorities Program (CAP). This program authorizes the Corps of
plan, design, and construct small scale projects under existing program
authorities from Congress. The project will create and preserve critical
habitat for species of concern (e.g. amphibians) and provide significant
habitat for migrating birds and many species of waterfowl on the Pacific
The project site is located at Ballinger Park in Mountlake Terrace.
The sponsor of the project is the City of Mountlake Terrace, Washington.
- Restore wetlands, riparian corridors, and fish and wildlife
- Create and preserve critical habitat for species of concern (e.g., amphibians) in a rapidly
developing urban area.
- Provide significant habitat for migrating birds and many
species of waterfowl on the Pacific Flyway.
- Create more places for birds, fish, turtles, salamanders, and
aquatic mammals to live.
- Replace a vehicle crossing and add a pedestrian boardwalk, to
ensure access and limit plant damage.
- Complete minor enhancements to pond habitat.
- Develop a more contemplative park that’s close
to home for visitors to interact with.
- January 11, 2023 - Seattle
District awarded a $5.5 million contract to Tunista Construction LLC of Federal Way, Washington.
- - 2023 - Established construction site and staging of equipment and materials.
- - 2023 - Construction begins.
- Construction Management Plan - [JD to confirm]
- Environmental Permits [JD to confirm]
Construction begins [INSERT DATE]. Tunista Construction LLC advises its work hours for the first two weeks will be from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has approved construction work hours of 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday. The contractor may only work during periods approved by the Army Corps, even if the city approves variances to work outside those hours.
- Noise Permit (JD to see if this is a permit on the submittal list).
Check back here for updates.