Celebrating the Cavanaugh House Centennial
The Cavanaugh House, the first completed structure of the Lake Washington Ship Canal project, is named for Col. James Bates Cavanaugh, the engineer in charge of locks construction from 1911 to 1917. Completed for $7,840, it was one of the first concrete homes built in Seattle. As Carl S. English Jr. developed the gardens it became part of the landscape. It was dedicated as Cavanaugh House Jan. 16, 1967 and became the Seattle District chief engineer’s official residence. The house is a key member of the National Register of Historic Places district, which includes historic buildings, the locks and gardens.

Download Image: Full Size (0.95 MB)
Photo by: Bill Dowell |  VIRIN: 130708-A-ZZ999-002.JPG