US Army Corps of Engineers
Seattle District

Army Corps repairing damaged Nile Road Levee

Published Jan. 24, 2019

SEATTLE – The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Seattle District, will repair a 125-foot section of levee near the town of Nile, Washington.

Located along the Naches River, the $145,600 project will repair damage that reduces flood protection from a 70-year to a seven-year level. Under a cost-sharing agreement, the Corps will pay 80 percent of the project cost and Yakima County, the project’s sponsor, picks up the remaining 20 percent.

The project is scheduled to begin February 4 and should be complete by February 15. Construction will occur within the “fish window” when crews can work in the water with the least amount of disruption to fish.

Damage to the levee occurred during flooding in May 2017, when the Naches River exceeded flood stage.  This is the final levee repair project of four along the Naches River that will repair damage from those flood events.


Contact
Dallas Edwards
206-764-6958
dallas.d.edwards@usace.army.mil

Release no. 19-004